The cups that hold the light bulbs had not been painted, so it really looked terrible. Sanding everything is a daunting task so I tried to find better options. Due to these cups being mild steel, I sent them in for sand blasting, a photo shows these cups sandblasted, as well as the eyelid covers for the grill that roll up to expose the lights. With the grill being pewter it could not be sandblasted to remove the paint that the rebuilder sprayed on. To remove his paint which had been chipped in places and to smooth it off removing the pit marks totally I had to sand the grill. (Sorry I was robbed and my computer was stolen so I lost a range of photos including where I had sanded the grill down.) It took hours and hours to sand in-between all the cross members of the grill. A small section of the grill is showed after it was sanded. Also all the small parts that open and close the grill for the lights were in a terrible condition, I used a wire brush on a grinder to get majority of the paint off these steel parts and then sanded them to make sure they were good for paint.
I would just like to make a tribute to my gardener who so willingly helped me sand all the parts that needed sanding, between us there were weeks spent in sanding everything. He had been working for us for about 5 years and sadly died in a car accident about a month ago.